Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Not everything its CRACKED up to be

White sand, crystal clear water and the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen ~ not the typical image that comes to mind when someone says 'Ibiza'. As we all know Ibiza has a certain reputation, one of which 'Ibiza Uncovered' in my opinion is responsible for. For those who aren't familiar, Ibiza Uncovered was an horredous show in the late 90's which depicted this beautiful little Island as a trashy, rough and a drug-taking week in the sun. The words DRUGS was synomomous with Ibiza. They came hand in hand, a compound word all most. I mean you only went to Ibiza if you were interested in tacky drink and drug fuelled fun in the sun. Booze cruises, pill poopping, tripping and overdoses, just a few of the common activities on the White Isle.
However on a recent trip to Ibiza I was pleasently surprised. I have to admit I am very big 'Dance' fan. I love Tiesto, Eric Morillo, David Guetta, all of who are just a few of the usual suspects gracing the DJ booths of the worlds largest clubs. So for me, it was about the music. I was going to Ibiza, not to 'rave' but to see some of the largest and most popular dance acts in the world. Although little did I know I would'nt just enjoy the music but I would discover a gorgeous picturesque little island with so much to offer, the scenery, the beaches, the greenery, the old town, the salt lakes, the port and the ocean. Selinas Beach was probably the biggest shock. It was the most amazing beach I have ever seen in my life. The water was aquamarine....so clear every limb was visible. The surrounding beach clubs were so cultered and oppulant. Not my typical vision of Ibiza. Formentera, one of the last jewels on the mediterrian, an island which we visited by Yatch. All very civilised I hear you say. Yes. This is Ibiza. However, of course I saw the sterotype, but it was one small section. Ibiza is not what its cracked up to be and I would recommend it highly to everyone both old and young..

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, it was a great insight into Ibiza! I've always wanted to go, so looking forward to checking it out in the very near future! Bon Voyage!


    Jamie Byrne
    james.byrne44@mail.dcu.ie
    http://farmerbyrne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine Caffrey
    elaine.caffrey4@gmail.com
    http://bop-bop-basketball.blogspot.com

    Hi Jane! I was really looking forward to visiting Ibiza until I read your blog! I am sure you hada good time though, I know how crazy you and your friends are!

    ReplyDelete